Digitizing your Operations: What is mobile pay parking?
In today’s world, almost anything can be paid for on a smartphone– including parking. The benefits of paid parking have become more apparent as populations continue to rise and cities of all sizes become denser. A mobile pay solution for parking allows for smarter, simpler parking management for operators and for a seamless parking experience for users.
A mobile parking app, such as Passport Parking, works in a few simple steps. Users download the app, create an account and enter either their license plate number or parking space number (depending on the environment). From there, parkers can manage and pay for their parking securely from their smartphones. While users experience a seamless transaction, cities gain access to parking data through a robust backend system. With this data, cities can manage rates and restrictions, access customer parking information and pull financial reports.
Passport’s mobile pay solution can also be used in conjunction with other parking solutions, including digital enforcement, license plate recognition (LPR) and digital permits. This seamless end-to-end solution can be managed all from one place.
Who can use mobile pay parking technology?
Mobile pay parking technology can be leveraged by more than just cities. Private operators can harness the power of this cloud-based technology to uncover powerful payment and enforcement capabilities without incurring staffing or hardware expenses. Universities can use this technology to improve the campus parking experience and decrease operational costs.
The benefits of mobile payments for parking
A smart parking management system benefits both the city and its constituents:
For the city/operator:
- Supports community health and hygiene: Individuals can pay and extend parking sessions without touching cash, meters or pay stations.
- The flexibility to manage from anywhere: View reports and change rates and rules from anywhere with internet access.
- Reduces hardware spend: Hardware costs can be upwards of $12,000 per year per machine. With a digital parking solution, there is no hardware required. This means cities can save money and time.
- Increases access to operational data: Real-time rates, restriction management, and customer parking data is available in one place.
- Improves payment compliance: By providing an easier, more convenient way to pay for parking, customers are more likely to engage and payment compliance rises.
- Seamless integrations: Combine Passport’s mobile parking solution with digital permits, enforcement and LPR.
- Lowers processing costs: Parking transactions are small and processing costs can build up. A parking management system with integrated merchant processing, like Passport, can help lower costs with negotiated credit and debit card rates on transactions under ten dollars.
For the users:
- Hygienic, germ-free alternative: Pay by mobile app to avoid touching cash, meters and pay stations.
- Ability to extend parking sessions remotely: With a mobile parking solution, there is no need for users to feed the meter.
- Track receipts and parking history: Users can easily view previous transactions and receipts directly from their smartphone.
- Frictionless user experience: The Passport Parking mobile app combines cutting edge design with technology to make paying to park a breeze.
- Multiple payment options available: Forms of payment include credit cards, PayPal and dedicated wallet.
Going mobile pay only
Cities and universities of all sizes have quickly noticed the benefits of mobile payments for parking and some are making the switch to mobile-pay-only environments. The advantages come in many forms including reduced costs due to not having to buy or maintain hardware, as well as a better customer experience. Additionally, by adopting a mobile-pay-only solution, cities and universities take the first big step toward becoming smarter and managing their operations in a more efficient and effective way.
What should operators look for when choosing a mobile pay solution?
Whether you’re considering going out to a Request for Proposal or are already in the process of evaluating mobile pay vendors, choosing the right partner is crucial.
The buyer’s guide, Procuring for a Mobile Parking Payment App, has everything you need to know to select the best mobile pay vendor for your operation, including:
1. How to approach pricing
2. Deciding features & vendor requirements
3. How to choose the best mobile app
Offer customers more than one app to pay for parking
Passport is the only provider with a proven, tested platform that can accommodate multiple vendors’ parking apps. By leveraging Passport’s APIs, cities can improve convenience and increase compliance by offering a variety of app choices to its users.
What results can I expect from a mobile solution for parking?
The following are case studies of operations that have transformed with the implementation of a smart parking management system:
- The City of Portland, Ore. opted for a personalized white label parking solution that embraces the city’s cat culture. Parking Kitty accounts for nearly 38% of all parking sessions throughout the city and processes an average of over $1M in mobile pay parking transactions on a monthly basis.
- Greeley, Colo. was looking to increase parking availability in its lots and on-street parking spaces. By offering a “pay to stay” option through the Passport Parking app, parkers could extend and manage parking remotely and the city saw a tremendous improvement in parking availability.
- University of Wisconsin-Whitewater wanted to digitize its campus with a mobile pay parking solution. After replacing almost all of its meters with the Passport Parking app, the university saw immediate increase in revenue and saved over 40 hours of meter maintenance per week.
Passport is a transportation software company, delivering the operating system that enables cities to manage vehicle interactions with streets and sidewalks. With Passport, city leaders increase convenience, efficiency and compliance today and tomorrow. Passport is trusted by more than 1,000 cities, universities and agencies. Contact us to schedule a demo.